Local 10 was first organized to represent the employees of the Bell Aircraft Bomber Plant in Marietta, Georgia during World War II. Bell closed the plant in 1946 following the war.
In 1947, General Motors opened a new plant in Doraville, Georgia to produce Buick, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs. As hiring began at Doraville, Tom Starling, Region 8 Director, assigned Assistant Director George D. Guestand and Region 8 Representative Floyd D. Garrett, to assist the Doraville workers in organizing their plant.
An office was set up in the back of a feed store located near the plant. The old office furniture from the Marietta office was brought to Doraville. this furniture consisted of three wooden desks, two wooden filing cabinets, a safe, and an old typewriter. Mrs. Martha Henderson was hired as Secretary on April 1, 1948 by Floyd Garrett, International Servicing Representative.
The organizational drive was successful and the Charter for Local 10 was issued on April 13, 1948. On May 20, 1948, the first election was held. Elected were Robert T. Gunter (President), Alvin R. Price (Vice President), P.E. Brooks (Recording Secretary, replaced on August 26, 1948 by Tybee Gilley), Frank B. Cowan (Financial Secretary-Treasurer), Ernest R. Wade (3 Year Trustee), C.L. Turner (2 Year Trustee), John A. Burell (1 Year Trustee), C.E Burell (Sergeant At Arms), and R. Mark Henderson (Guide).
In 1948, the Union Meetings were held in the school yard at the Doraville School. In May, 1948, th Acting Shop Committee requested Local Negotiations on (1) Wage rules and rates by job, (2) Temporary grievance procedure and pay for Committeeman, (3) Checkoff.
In June, the plant was divided into Division I-Productive and Non-Productive, and Division II-Maintenance. Effective June 28, 1948, the plant was divided again, but this time into seven districts, with a temporary Bargaining Committee to represent each District: Area I- Metal (G.O. Hawkins), Area II-Paint (L.D. Jones), Area III-Trim & Cushion Room (L.R. Rakestraw), Area IV-Chassis & Car Conditioning (O.P. Needham), Area V-Material (W.D. Reeves), Area VI-Maintenance, Jig& Fixtures (A.R. Price), Area VII- Traffic, Inspection, Janitors, Loading, and Shipping-(F.B. Cowan).
These temporary Committeemen had been appointed by the International Union on June 8, to negotiate the first Agreement. L.D. Jones served as the Chairman of the Bargaining Committee.
The first grievance to come before the Shop Committee appeared on July 15, 1948. Two requested ventilation, one charged a foreman with working. To resolve the ventilation problems a water wall was installed in the bonderite booth and the sheet metal oven was insulated. There was nothing done about the foreman working as Management contended it was necessary due to absenteeism.
The first local Agreement was signed on August 11, 1948 and established job classification and wage rates. During the negotiations the Union requested canvas gloves for employees handling sharp metal, welding for welders, and coveralls for sprayers and rubber dough sealers. Management stated "It is reasonable to expect employees to furnish their own work clothing."
The Union did establish that all automatic pay increases begin on Mondays, the 90 day probationary period, a Local Seniority Agreement and Shift Preference for Maintenance employees. Management approved of the Union installing two Union bulletin boards inside the plant with the provision that all notices be submitted to and approved by Personnel prior to posting. The Union request for a "10 minute coffee gap" was not granted.
On October 14, 1948, the Shop Committee began weekly meetings at 10:00 am every Thursday morning. The day shift starting time was 8:00 am, and the second shift had changed from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
On December 2, 1948, following Management's statement that "cost of clothing was included in the wage rate", employees were enabled to purchase their own welding gloves in the cafeteria.
The History of the Union Hall
In December 1948, 10 cents from each member's monthly Union dues were set aside for a building fund project. the Union's Office was still in the back of a feed store and the meetings were being held at the Doraville School.
The membership voted to transfer $700 from the treasury to the building fund in January 1949.
On April 13, 1954, the membership approved the land purchase of three acres of land from the Nehi Bottling Company for a purchase price of $7000. On June 2,1954 a special meeting was called for the purpose of electing temporary Directors of Local 10 Union Hall Corporation, etc. Nominations were made and the following five members were elected from those nominated to serve as board of Directors: Bill Shafer. Clyde Williams, Hoyt Howard, Leroy Howle, and H.H Bagley. By membership action the Board of Directors were given authority to purchase the property located on Buford Highway and Central Avenue. A contract on the land was signed on April 23, 1954, and the deal was closed June 4, 1954.
On May 25, 1954, $1,920 was spent on the grading and paperwork on the newly acquired land. Later in the year a Board of Directors for the Local 10 Union Hall Corporation was set up. they employed the services of Architect and Engineer Phillip Windsor to do the drawings and specifications for the hall. The Local voted to increase their dues by a dollar a month for a period of six months to go to the Building Fund. By March 1955, the Membership had voted that the Building Fund portion of their dues should be increased to 50 cents.
The plans for the hall were changed from the originally planned 1500 seat capacity to 1200 seats, but to now include a basement. On April 19 and 20, 1955, nominations were taken for members of the Board of Directors at the Local 10 union Hall. On may 2 and 3, 1955, the following five were elected to serve as Board of Directors until such time as the construction of the Union Hall and such business was completed: James H Richardson, Carl Thompson, R.H. Burel, H.H. Bagley, and Grover L. Buice. After completion of the construction and such business the Executive Board would serve as officers of the Corporation. In July, 1955, the Local again approved another temporary dues increase of a dollar per month for two months.
The early estimate on the building in August, 1955 was for $90,000. A mortgage was secured from the International Union for approximately $60,000 to go along with the money from the Local. The mortgage was set up over a 10 year period at $607.50 per month.
Alexander and Sullivan Contractors were secured to begin the project on January 30, 1956, with a six month completion date expected. One thousand folding chairs were purchased from American Seating Company.
The building was completed and ready for occupancy by August, 1956. On August 25, an Open House celebration was held at the new Union Hall. the final cost of the building was $105,865.
The permit for two driveways for entrance and exit on Buford Highway was issued on September 21, 1956. In October, the driveways were extended 12 feet and paved between the highway and the new curb at a cost of $490. Stephens Landscaping was paid $1000 for landscaping the new facility,
On October 22, 1956, a water pipe burst washing away some of the fill dirt at eh base of the foundation. the Contractor was bonded and in March, 1957, the Local received a check for $416.99 fro Liberty Mutual Insurance Company.
When consideration was being made for selling the Credit Union some of the land to set up their offices in 1956, an appraiser was called out. Bagwell Realty appraised the land to be $200 per foot on the street side.
The speaker system was installed February 7, 1956.
The last payment to the International Union on the repayment of the mortgage was made July 20, 1966, and a mortgage burning celebration was planned for Labor Day. The Membership approved the purchased of the fence around the property on January 10, 1967.
In May 1974, the need for a more adequate air conditioning system was met by the approval of the Membership to purchase four large roof type air conditioning units. Bids were taken for the project, with the lowest coming from Ragan Plumbing. The work plus lowering the ceiling and some other general repairs came to $46,900. A Ladies Restroom was added in the basement in October, 1977, with the lowest bid coming from Fain Plumbing at a cost of $7,860.
The replacement of the pipes in December, 1984, and January, 1985, plus the remodeling of the kitchen and some other much needed repairs came to a total of $6,559.69
It is interesting to note that one year of County Property tax on the Union Hall (over $17,000) is more than a full year of mortgage payments were to the International Union on the $60,000, or more than the total price for the land was.
The building has become a vast storage area of information. Every grievance that has gone through the appeal process, Membership and Executive Board Minutes, Shop Committee Minutes, Financial Records, members names and addresses, letters, and other infomation is kept on record there